"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved." -- Confucius

Friday, September 17, 2004

Senator McCain: Defender of Democracy... finally

McCain Urges Court to Put Nader on Ballot

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., urged the Florida Supreme Court to allow Ralph Nader on the state ballot after it hears an appeal Friday by the independent presidential candidate.

In the run up to the 2000 election, I'd finally gotten over the problem many Libertarians suffer from. I call it "trying to build the pyramid pointy end down". They seem intent on taking the White House first, then building support, instead of the other way around.

So, I had decided I was going to see what the GOP had to offer. I'm more of a right-leaning Libertarian, so the current incarnation of (much of) the DNC makes me want to put a fork in my eye rather than vote for them. So, then VP Gore was totally out of the running. And if he wasn't out before he hired a career feminist to teach him how to be a man, or at least trick us into thinking he was a man, he definately was afterwards.

I liked Senator McCain, as I've mentioned before, but after his primary loss to then Governor Bush he seemed to have either began showing his true stance on positions, or had lost his friggin' mind!

He came out in favor of even more gun control (infringing on Second Amendment rights). He continued his "campaign finance reform" silliness until it became law (infringing on First Amendment rights). So, needless to say, the good Senator has been pretty high on my shit-list for a while. That is, until now.

Everyone has the right to run for President, even if they're (to paraphrase that highly annoying new Army tagline) a 'Party of One'. Granted, I think Nader is a screaming whackjob of the highest order. Granted, I support President Bush and think Nader pulling a Perot will help him get reelected. Granted, I'd rather trade in my boxers for a rusty chipper-shredder than have Nader for President, but he has a right to run.