"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved." -- Confucius

Monday, September 20, 2004

Johnnie Get Yer Gun...

Since I'm on the subject of the good Senator from Massachusetts and his stance on firearms ownership, I figured I'd bring up the thing that's had me scratching my head for a while now. When asked what his favorite firearms was, Senator Kerry replied:

"My favorite gun is the M-16 that saved my life and that of my crew in Vietnam. I don't own one of those now, but one of my reminders of my service is a Communist Chinese assault rifle."

WTF, over? Did he just say he owns an AK-47? A reminder (read: souvenir) of his time in Vietnam (No kidding? I didn't know he was in Vietnam, maybe he should've mentioned that before). I gotta say, one wonders:

  • If the AK-47 in question was one he brought back from Vietnam?

  • If the AK-47 still functions?

  • If Senator Kerry has a Class III license needed to own a fully-automatic firearm? UPDATE: Class III's needed to deal, not possess. Thanks John of Argghhh!!

  • If the laws of his decidedly hoplophobic home state of Massachusetts allow him to own it?

  • What are the military regulations regarding the 'taking of souvenirs' and did he violate them?

  • What are the federal firearms importation laws and did he violate them?

  • If the Senator has ever heard the phrase "Engage Brain Before Running Mouth"?


And one more just... well, just 'cause you're thinking it already...

  • Was the Communist Chinese AK-47 a war trophy, or was it a gift from his supporters?


So, Senator John "And so tomorrow, for the first time in 10 years, when a killer walks into a gun shop, when a terrorist goes to a gun show somewhere in America, when they want to purchase an AK-47 or some other military assault weapon, they're going to hear one word: 'Sure'." Kerry's favorite firearm is a really real assault weapon (M-16) and owns another really real assault weapon (AK-47) but we, the law-abiding citizens of America, can't even own a semi-automatic knockoff of either?

It's a good thing I don't blog with one of those speech-to-type programs, the string of expletives gets pretty colorful when I so much as think about the hypocrisy of this bozo.

BTW, when asked the same question, President Bush replied, "My favorite gun is a Weatherby Athena 20 gauge." A nice double-barrelled, uncheap, non-saturday night special, non-assault weapon, mid-powered shotgun.

Forget the "Who would you rather have a beer with?" poll. I've already got my answer when I get asked the "Who would you rather go to the range with?" poll.