"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved." -- Confucius

Monday, September 08, 2008

Selective Service, Selective Memory

In a recent interview with George Stephanopoulos, Barack Obama replied to a question about whether not he considered serving in the military. His reply:

“You know, I actually did,” Obama said. “I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school. And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there.

“And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue.”


Uhm yeah. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, wholly suspending my disbelief that growing up at the knee of Frank Marshall Davis would have negated any such ideas before they formed in young Barack's mind.

Yeah. But here's the problem.

When I graduated high school, several years later than Barack, guys had to register with the Selective Service when they turned eighteen, as it was the law at the time. Of course, as I was already in the Delayed Entry Program with the Army but that's not the point. The point is "as it was the law at the time". When Barack graduated, it was not the law. The draft, and mandatory registration with the Selective Service, was suspended in 1973 and was not reinstated until 1980.

Huh.

Way to follow up George.